Wednesday, April 01, 2020
Familiarity breeds contempt #poetry #avalonwrites
Written during a contentious time both at home and in the world, or, Love in a Time of Corona
familiarity breeds contempt
the breed of your contempt is stifling
in the humidity spite breeds
multiplying by factors to the powers of
more than imaginable
imagination being my private domain
beyond familiarity
into solitary quiet and stillness
an only safe space with negative pressure
solitary clean room in this family
free of microbes of cruelty
which will eventually envelop me
outside my mind
I cannot breathe in this
contemptuous space that breeds
hatred in words and deeds
which I forgive relentlessly
beyond reason to the naked eye
yet -- you are family
association that tethers us together
a cord of three strands
organic strands
moldy from humidity
from wear and tears
necrotic words
decomposing my worn heart
shards of which attack
my chest
I cannot breathe in
this family.
Labels: words